These outdoor living spaces from the AD archives offer a perfect place to lounge next to the pool , dine alfresco, or take in the surrounding landscape. Whether terrace, loggia, or quaint nook, these outdoor living rooms are as stylish as the amazing homes they accompany, from a chic summer retreat in the Hamptons to a waterfront vacation house in Nova Scotia. Click through to discover stylish patio ideas and designs to help you prep your outdoor space for the months ahead.
1. The loggia of a Las Vegas home by Atelier AM overlooks boxwood parterres designed by Robert E. Truskowski and a reflecting pool that culminates with John McCracken’s sculpture White Light.
2. At Cindy Crawford and Rande Gerber’s Los Cabos, Mexico, home, which was built by Legorreta + Legorreta, the outdoor living room’s seating is made of niwala limestone from Spain.
3. Off the meditation room of a California house by Dirk Denison, a roof deck doubles as a dining area. The built-in teak daybed has cushions and pillows of Perennials outdoor fabric.
4. A Ben Jones dog sculpture is displayed on the slate-paved terrace of a London home designed by Rafael de Cárdenas.
5. Birch trees provide shade for the outdoor dining area of designer Friederike Kemp Biggs’s Manhattan penthouse. Planters filled with ivy, boxwood, lobelia, and hydrangea also surround the bluestone-paved terrace, planned by landscape designer Halsted Welles.
Photo: Derry Moore
6. Overlooking the Seattle skyline and Elliot Bay, the 900-square-foot rooftop terrace of designer Terry Hunziker’s Pioneer Square apartment is planted with vibrant Japanese maple trees and manicured shrubs.
7. Vintage Arne Jacobsen side chairs surround a custom-made table in the outdoor dining area of a Hamptons home by Tod Williams and Billie Tsien.
2,238 total views, 2 views today